Bruce Rollins wins Jesse Coon Award
Gulf Masters swimmer, Bruce Rollins, wins the 2012 Jesse Coon Award. Bruce, a swimmer and coach, swims regularly at the Dads Club pool and competes for the Woodlands Masters Swim Team. He is well known for his generosity in encouraging others to swim and excel at life and says his best five year period in athletics were while he was at Duchesne and his best accomplishment in swimming was teaching his wife of 38 years how to really swim.
Bruce's accomplishments in swimming include
* Swim Coach at Duchesne and St. Thomas High Schools where he won a State Championship while at Duchesne
* Athletic Director at Duchesne for 5 years as well as coach Created 3 local Invitation Swim Meets for Private Schools - Holiday Relay, HAPPI and City Champs
* Coached at the Westside YMCA Waves and ran City wide YMCA Summer Championships
* Currently is a TAPPS Swimming Coordinator for Region and State Meets and is also coaching the local SWYM Masters team Helped begin the Buffalo Creek
* YMCA Learn To Swim Program for 2nd and 3rd graders Swim at local, national and international USMS, YMCA and Senior Games Meets.
* Former Board Chair at Westside and Clay Road YMCAs and is currently on the Dad's Club Board.
The Jesse Coon Legacy
Jesse Coon passed away in 2005. He was well known in Texas and nationally in United States Masters Swimming for his national and world records. He was the first person in the 90+ age group to complete and win the 200 yard and 200 meter butterfly and 400 individual medley. He still holds many of the South Central Zone records for several age groups for the butterfly, breaststroke and individual medley. Although Jesse set many records, his greatest contribution to Masters Swimming was sharing his love of the sport. Always one to give words of encouragement to others, his kindness caused him to be loved by all. He made every effort to publicize Masters Swimming in newspapers, on television as well as conducting swimming demonstrations for young USS swimmers.
In 2006, the Gulf Masters Swim Committee created an award to be given annually to a person within the Gulf Zone Masters Swim area that exemplified the spirit and heart of Masters swimming that Jesse Coon portrayed. The plaque hangs at Aerofit Health and Fitness Center were Jesse swam on a daily basis. Past award recipients winners were: 2006 - Judy Wagner, 2007 - Rene Protopapas, 2008 – Graham and Janis Johnson, 2009 – David Young, 2010 – Sandy Cattarin, 2011 – Bud Jackson and in 2012 – Bruce Rollins. The Gulf Master’s Swim Committee is proud to honor these swimmers who carry on Jesse’s contagious love of life and swimming. On Saturday October 29, 2010 Jesse would have celebrated his 100th birthday. Aerofit Health and Fitness Center is proud to have this plaque hanging in the facility and is proud to honor these swimmers for their efforts and their personal attitude about the sport.